Friday, November 6, 2009

What's New In Dart's iPod #103 AKA The Age Of Bloggerhouse Has Begun...

This week was great as I kicked off my collaborative blog with some of my most respected peers called Bloggerhouse this Sunday. It went extremely well and was well received by readers across the board. We have more projects up our sleeves and I will be adding new content up until I discontinue Poisonous Paragraphs on January 1st, 2010. It's looking like I'll continue doing Dartflix, a revised What's New In Dart's iPod and Dart's Rant Of The Day on Bloggerhouse in 2010. I have another piece I'm working on that I'll begin writing as soon as I post this here.

My beloved Patriots had a bye week but I still posted about them on Armchair Linebacker. I need to post something on on Nerd With Swag soon (I completely forgot about reviewing "Where The Wild Things Are" & "Astro Boy"!). The Celtics jumped out to an impressive 6-0 start by beating up everyone and escaping a close one vs. the Minnesota Timberwolves. The Cleveland Cavaliers are 3-3 after their second home loss in the young season and the Lakers have had trouble putting away lesser opponents with the King Of The Lycans being in the lineup. Back to back OT wins versus the Oklahoma City Thunder & Houston Rockets are eye opening to say the least. Then the Yankees won the World Series. Fuck.

I'm continuing to pray for the quick recoveries of Hex Murda, Kon of Kon & Amir & DJ Hideo. Hex Murda should be home some time this week (shout out to Robyn Elaine & the girls plus the entire extended fam in Detroit) but you can still contribute to the Hex Care Fund via PayPal through TheHexCareFund@gmail.com. Next week, I do the November edition of "25 More Producers..." (yet another feature I'll bring with me to Bloggerhouse in January). Be on the lookout for it! Any of you that sent me material & I haven't got back to you about it I apologize...I got A LOT of mail. Please continue submitting material to bloggerhouse@gmail.com in the interim.

This week I'll be reviewing five new projects that recently hit the 'net/bloggerverse and/or will be landing on store shelves soon in the following order: Blockhead "The Music Scene", CunninLynguists "Strange Journey Volume Two", Gift Of Gab "Escape 2 Mars", Horseshoe G.A.N.G "Gangsta M.C." and Ro Spit "The Oh Shit! Project". For those of you new to this blog, I don’t rate albums on a scale or assign them a numerical value out of 5 or 10, instead I merely answer the all important question of “Is it worth buying or not?”. Here's how my recently revised "Cop It Or Not" ratings system breaks down below:

Opinions be damned. This particular project has no redeeming qualities whatsoever and should come with a Surgeon General's warning and/or a biohazard sticker. It should only be handled by hazmat teams or bomb/demolitions squads. To quote Common & Canibus, this album is your worst nightmare squared.

Oh No! This CD is a drink coaster/table balancer/doorstop/gerbil/hamster room divider/frisbee/discus/makeshift shield/last ditch choice for a visor/alternate shuriken choice. Sell this shit to whoever is dumb enough to buy it from you.

Maeby (Maybe)! Depending on your own set of personal preferences you might like this joint. Give it a listen first to see if it's in your lane or not.


Mos Def! Cop the album when it drops...'Nuff said.


That's why the people got my back like the Verizon man! © Jay Electronica


Best Joints: It's Raining Clouds, The Music Scene, Only Sequences Change, Which One Of You Jerks Drank My Arnold Palmer?, Attack The Doctor, The Prettiest Sea Slug, The Daily Routine, Tricky Turtle, Four Walls, Pity Party, Hell Camp and Farewell Spaceman

Hot Garbage: N/A

Dart's Take: Are you a beathead like I am? Are you already a Blockhead fan? Looking for some new instrumentals to vibe to? If you answered yest to all three then by all means find "The Music Scene". If not, at least give it a listen first to see if it's something you can rock with or not. If yes? Cop it. If no? Leave it alone. I dug it personally so I'm giving the music scene a recommended maybe.





Best Joints: Imperial, The W.W.K.Y.A. Tour, Streets, Heart, To Be For Real, Tear Trax, Still With Me (Remix), Close Your Eyes, The Park (Blue Sky Black Death Remix), Nothing To Give (Live), Cocaine, Running Wild, Everywhere plus instrumentals for each track on the Deluxe Edition

Hot Garbage: N/A

Dart's Take: CunningLynguists come back and drop the second half of their "Strange Journey" project featuring previously unreleased material, remixes and new collaborations. The extended fam is all present (Cashmere The Pro, Deacon The Villain, Club Dub & Witchdoctor) as well as QN5 peeps Substantial & Extended Famm. Even Sean Price, Poison Pen, Evidence, E40, Freddie Gibbs, Grieves, Geologic & Macklemore all supply guest verses over Kno's gritty production. There's even a Blue Sky Black Death remix and instrumentals included! I honestly can't think of a reason to NOT cop (unless of course you're not a CunninLynguists fan). I give this a highly recommended maybe.






Best Joints: E2MTRO, El Gifto Magnifico, Dreamin', Lightyears, Escape 2 Mars, Richman, Poorman, Some Of The People, Spotlight and Rhyme Travel

Hot Garbage: In Las Vegas and Electric Waterfalls

Dart's Take: Yeah...I'm a huge Gift Of Gab/Blackalicious./Solesides/Quannum fan but this album didn't do much for me at all. It didn't suck but I was generally bored with the overall aesthetic and production. The only song I felt compelled to rewind was "Some Of The People" (I ultimately didn't). Even a great deal of the songs I liked or tolerated were dangerously close to the "Meh Zone". Best I can do is give "Escape 2 Mars" a maybe. Last year it think it was either a Lateef or Lyrics Born album that bored me to tears. This one was slightly better than that. Maybe.





Best Joints: Pimp Shit, Circle Gang Anthem Pt. 2, Cypher 1, Interlude, Deadbeat West, Watch Ya Mouth, Freak Wit Me, Come In Tha Place, Cypher 2, Long Beach Meeting, You Don't Wanna Fuck Wit Me and Outro

Hot Garbage: N/A (However...)

Dart's Take: Can these dudes spit? Hell yeah. The production is okay. The guest appearances are quality (Crooked I, Royce Da 5'9", Kid Vishis, Mykestro, Coniyac Da X.O, Dynamic Certified & Karelezz) but there's just something I can't put my finger on that's missing from this project. I write for a living and I can't accurately describe what's keeping me from getting into this project all the way. For whatever reason even though it may bang in a car and meets the bar requirements for a quality album I'm just not feeling it like that. I give it a maybe. Check it out for yourselves and tell me what y'all think....





Best Joints: Too Easy, As Far As (Ya Eyes Can See), Hold My Strap, Grease Talk, Eff The Po's, I Do Me, Leave Me Alone, I'm Booked, Burn Rubber, Needing To Win, Muthafuckas, 80's Baby, Levi Denim (Peep How I Kill 'Em), Warm It Up, Arts & Crafts, Stop, Drop, Roll, Do You, Yours Truly and Verse Collage

Hot Garbage: N/A

Dart's Take: What do you get when you add production by some of the best producers in Detroit with bars by some of the best emcees in Detroit? A bangin' ass project! The "Oh Shit! Project" by emcee/entrepreneur Ro Spit (he owns & operates Burn Rubber, one of the most popular clothing stores in Detroit and the entire Midwest) will have your head nodding from beginning to end and boasts guest appearances from Big Tone, Marv Won, Ron Dance, Illite, Fes Roc, Stretch Money & Monica Blaire.

If you can make it through jawns like "Too Easy", "As Far As (Ya Eyes Can See)", "Hold My Strap", "Grease Talk", "Leave Me Alone", "Burn Rubber", "Needing To Win", "Muthafuckas", "Levi Denim (Peep How I Kill 'Em)", "Warm It Up", etc. without feeling the urge to do The Wop, Mike Tyson or the Scooby Doo then you may be one of the undead walking the Earth. I give "The Oh Shit! Project" a highly recommended maybe, download the final version with different tracks HERE





Late Passes (For Doz Dat Slept):


Projects I'm Looking Forward To Reviewing Once They Leak...I Mean Drop:




Rhymefest-El Che
Jay Electronica-Act II: Patents Of Nobility
Jay Electronica-Abracadabra: Let There Be Light
Big Boi-Sir Luscious Leftfoot, Son Of Chico Dusty
Pac Div-Grown Kid's Syndrome
Blu-God Is Good
Drake- Thank Me Later
Alchemist & Oh No are Gangrene
Eternia & MoSS- At Last
B.O.B.-The Adventures Of B.O.B.
Billy Danze-Behind Gatez
AG & O.C.-Oasis: Together Brothers
Statik Selektah & Termanology Are 1982
Lil' Fame & Termanology-Fizzyology
Baatin-Titus
Phat Kat and Elzhi are Cold Steel
The Beatnuts-The Planet Of The Crates
Ski Beatz-Half Man, Half Amazing
Evidence-Cats & Dogs
Statik Selektah-The Hangover
Buff1 & Rhettmatic -Crown Royale
Apollo Brown & Boog Brown-UPS
DJ Muggs & Ill Bill- Kill Devil Hills
Jay Electronica x Mos Def x Curren$y-Center Edge Territory


Bloggerhouse has arrived! Dart Adams (Poisonous Paragraphs), Travis Glave (Wake Your Daughter Up), & Eric Coons (When They Reminisce) are the official lineup of Bloggerhouse. Content is king and we are the undisputed kings of content. One of us equals many of us/If you you disrespect any of us you'll see plenty of us © Guru

One.

3 comments:

Tim said...

As per every week, this site tunes me into something new. I had no idea the Blockhead album had dropped (thought it was due 2010), but now I see I can get it from emusic (sorry Dart, ha ha) tonight.

By the way, maybe you just haven't updated the 'projects I'm looking forward to' list, but that Moka Only and Nebz Supreme album dropped back in September. Haven't bought it yet because I'm still digging into the new Ron Contour (can't keep up with Moka's work ethic), but the snippets sound good.

Dart Adams said...

@Tim:

No one ever sent me the promo copy for the Nebz Supreme/Moka Only album. I haven't seen any reviews for it yet around & it hasn't leaked anywhere so I assumed it still hadn't dropped yet. I update that list weekly but as with some titles they're SO underground you don't even know they came out I guess...

One.

headpiece747 said...

Need to stop lurking so much but have been getting great hip-hop suggestions for awhile from you. Bloggerhouse is the shit and I can't wait for full take over there.Bought the last Blockhead album off a blindbuy without hearing anything off it and I am glad to hear his newest is cool as well. I am feeling that new CunninLynguists too and picked it up off of emusic.