Friday, November 23, 2007

What’s New In Dart’s iPod #15 AKA Three Mixtapes For Black Friday

I've spent the past couple of days cooking, eating, playing videogames (no one wants to see me in Wii Sports Baseball, son! I pitch like Papelbon), watching football, looking for deals on electronics and reminiscing with family and friends. I got three new mixtapes this past week that I will now post some quick reviews for. The three joints I rocked for a minute and then passed judgment on were Lupe Fiasco’s “The Coolest Mixtape”, Saigon’s “The Moral Of The Story” and Wale’s “100 Miles And Running”. I have a rather unique ratings system for rating projects as opposed to assigning a numerical value. Let me first explain how my patented “Cop It Or Not” ratings system works below:

Oh No! This CD is a drink coaster/table balancer/doorstop/gerbil/hamster room divider/frisbee/discus/makeshift shield/last ditch choice for a visor/alternate shuriken choice. Sell this shit to whoever is dumb enough to buy it from you.

Maeby (Maybe)! Depending on your own set of personal preferences you might like this joint. Give it a listen first to see if it's in your lane or not.

Mos Def! Cop the album when it drops...'Nuff said.

I’ve achieved perfection, no need for the Department Of Corrections. Impervious to physical harm, adamantium fused to my skeleton © Dart Adams


First up is Lupe Fiasco’s “The Coolest Mixtape”. It was made available through MixtapeWeekly.com and Trey Peezy mixed it to promote Lupe Fiasco upcoming concept album “The Cool”. Does the mixtape deliver enough exclusives and new joints or does it just rehash a bunch of joints we’ve all heard before? Here’s my final verdict below:

Best Joints: “Can You Let Me Know”, “Dope Boy”, “We All Want The Same Thing”, “Change”, “Wherever I Go (Live)”, “Up 2 Me”, “Chick-A-Pow”, “Bottom Top”, “Let’s Go”, “Flight”

Hot Garbage: N/A (If you’ve already heard his guest verses on those R&B remixes and are sick of songs like “Dumb It Down”, “Superstar”, “What It Do” or “Us Placers” then I picked the right tracks to highlight. Folks only wanna hear a Lupe mixtape for the new shit or exclusives...Download it here  )


Next up is Saigon’s new mixtape presented by Just Blaze called “The Moral Of The Story”. We’ve all been waiting for the “Greatest Story Never Told” album for years and those tracks Just Blaze posted up on The Megatron Don blog have folks thinking that this album might be a beast. This mixtape has the potential to be crazy. Will Saigon really try to quit rap or was that just the frustration talking? My final decision is:

Best Joints: “Come On Baby Remix”, “What A Life”, “Wake Up”, “Who Can Get Busy”, “How We Get Down”

Hot Garbage: “Homegirl”, “I Know”, “Rap & Bullshit Pt. 2”, “Reason, Season, Lifetime” (Where are the kind of bangers that Just plays on his page? Where’s the heat? It was either a laid back song or a joint that sounded like it was off one of the Yardfather mixtapes. The songs on this mixtape were kinda boring and they all pretty much sounded the same. After hearing some of the leaked tracks, expectations for this mixtape were pretty high...it disappointed completely. I know Just and Sai got better stuff than this lying around so just wait for the album and don't even bother downloading this mixtape.)


The third and final offering of the day is the the new Nick Catchdubs mixtape that he did for new signee to Mark Ronson’s AllIDo label, Wale’s “100 Miles And Running”. I’m sick of hearing the same ol’ bullshit and tired cliches on everyone’s mixtapes so I look forward to hearing Wale do his own thing, put a DC spin on things and let his personality shine through on this mixtape. Find out what I thought about it below:

Best Joints: “Let’s Ride”, “DC Gorillaz”, “Breakdown”, “Ice Cream Girl”, “Payback”, “Jay Joint”, “Please Listen”, “The People”, “Daytona Squared”, “Bonified”, “W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E.”, “Good Girls”, “Work”, “Warming Up Cane”, “Smile Remix”, “Camp Lo”, “Nobody”, “Rediscover Me”

Hot Garbage: N/A (People will hopefully stop sleeping on this kid after this mixtape. He even fucked up on a track and just owned up to it and freestyled. Imagine that! Someone who just rolled with the punches and didn’t try to ProTool out his mistake. Download it now!)


Here are some more albums that I can’t wait to review once they leak...I mean drop:



Not five, not four, not three, not two, just..© Sean Price

One.

4 comments:

D Dubs said...

Hey, this is Wale's manager...just so you know Wale's mixtape came out in July and you can download it for free off his myspace page. myspace.com/wale202

Unknown said...

Great reviews Dart but I for one won't ever listen to Loopy Fiasco ever again, he is an ignorant idiot.

Dart Adams said...

@ Jaz:

I feel you, but if I gave up on every emcee I liked because they said/did something questionable then I would have very few emcees to listen to.

Remember when Brand Nubian made that controversial statement about people infected with HIV/AIDS back in 1992? Remember all of KRS One and Ice Cube's questionable statements? Between Griff and Flav I should've been done with Public Enemy back in 1990. X Clan's interviews? Big Daddy Kane's foibles, Kool G Rap, Big Pun and B.I.G being notorious for beating their girlfriends...oh, the list is SO LONG. I can let Lupe ride with his minor infractions.

One.

TreyPeezy.com said...

I see you posted MY LUPE THE COOLEST MIXTAPE, I just upped LUPE FIASCO THE GREAT ON MY BLOG! CHECK IT OUT!
http://www.TreyPeezy.Blogspot.com