Friday, November 9, 2007

What’s New In Dart’s iPod #13 AKA ABCD

Guess who’s back? Due to my laptop dying I don’t have the convenience of writing out detailed reviews of new releases/promos anymore. I decided that I should still do reviews (because face it, it’s the most Hip Hop thing I do on this blog lately) but now I cut to the chase and just give my opinion on said releases. This week I’m reviewing Bishop Lamont & Black Milk’s “Caltroit” project, Justus League members The Away Team’s “Training Day”, and fine ass Alicia Keys long awaited LP “As I Am”. I also have a “Cop It Or Not” rating system that I will explain for any new readers below:


Oh No! This CD is a drink coaster/table balancer/doorstop/gerbil/hamster room divider/frisbee/discus/makeshift shield/last ditch choice for a visor/alternate shuriken choice. Sell this shit to whoever is dumb enough to buy it from you.

Maeby (Maybe)! Depending on your own set of personal preferences you might like this joint. Give it a listen first to see if it's in your lane or not.

Mos Def! Cop the album when it drops...'Nuff said.

Sweet! © Jay Z


The first project I’m reviewing is the Bishop Lamont and Black Millk “Caltroit” collab project that I’ve been hearing songs from on Black Milk’s MySpace for months now. This album/mixtape has a wide range of my favorite emcees on it like Ras Kass, Phat Kat, Elzhi and T3 from Slum Village, Tash, Illa J, Busta Rhymes, Kardinal Offishal and hella more underground favorites from Cali and the D. The joint finally became available recently, here’s the verdict:

The Judgement:
Best Joints: “Caltroit”, “I Need It”, “On Top Now”, “Goatit”, “Spectacular”, “4 All My Ni$%as”, “Inconvenient Truth”, “Go Hard”, “If You Ready”, “Ret 2 Go (give Ms. Jade and Lady Of Rage some deals!)”, “Everything”, “Not The Way”

Hot Garbage: N/A. (“Movie Star” is dope but has bad audio quality) Damn, this whole joint rocks from beginning to end. Download/cop this shit right now!


The next release I’m going to review is The Away Team’s new album “Training Day”. I’ve always liked The Away Team and I’ve always checked for their joints on the many Justus League compilations I’ve accumulated and accrued over the years. How will I take an entire album of them, though? Let’s check out my findings below:

The Judgement:
Best Joints: “Scream Out!”, “Look @ Me”, “Awesome”, “The Odds”, “Chitter Chatter”, “Greedy” and “Psycho Ward (Sean Price kills it!)”

Hot Garbage: N/A. Khrysis did his thing behind the boards. Find it and cop it ASAP.


I can’t seem to escape the beautiful and talented Alicia Keys no matter where I go or how hard I try. She’s guest starring on network TV shows (“Cane”), her episode of Iconoclasts with Ruby Dee is playing on the Sundance Channel nonstop and I swear that “Smokin’ Aces” is on everyday on cable. Not to mention that MTV Hits and VH1 Soul have both been running promos for her all week long it’s enough hype already...Let’s just hear the album. My decision is below:

The Judgement:
Best Joints: “No One”, “Lesson Learned”, “Wreckless Love”, “I Need You”, “Tell You Something (Nana’s Reprise)”

Hot Garbage: N/A...I did like some joints better than others and the second half of the album was better than the first in my opinion but it’s a good album (hence the recommended maybe as opposed to the regular one). I just liked her last album better (and Chrisette Michelle’s new one more than this one).

I'll be back to add more reviews if I get the Freeway promo or anything else I want to add. Otherwise, I'll be back next week with more heat.

Your 52 hand blocks was useless © GZA AKA The Genius

One.

No comments: