Friday, April 18, 2008

What's New In Dart's iPod #26 AKA When The Internet Gives You Leaked Albums You Review That Shit, Son!

It’s been so damn long since I did one of these that I almost forgot how the format went. After several dry weeks the dam burst this week and now Lyrics Born’s “Everywhere At Once”, Flying Lotus “Los Angeles”, Santogold and Atmosphere’s “When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold” have all hit the ‘net and I will review them all in the same order I just ran down.

Since so many of you are curious to hear (or read) my take on these albums after a three week absence I won’t waste any more time and just get to business. I don’t rate albums on a scale or assign them a numerical value out of 5 or 10, instead I merely answer the all important question of “Is it worth buying or not?”. Here's how my "Cop It Or Not" ratings system breaks down below:

Oh No! This CD is a drink coaster/table balancer/doorstop/gerbil/hamster room divider/frisbee/discus/makeshift shield/last ditch choice for a visor/alternate shuriken choice. Sell this shit to whoever is dumb enough to buy it from you.

Maeby (Maybe)! Depending on your own set of personal preferences you might like this joint. Give it a listen first to see if it's in your lane or not.

Mos Def! Cop the album when it drops...'Nuff said.

Ignite the people like Obama! © 6th Sense

Lyrics Born is a legendary emcee from the seminal underground duo Latryx and his new album has just surfaced. Will he recapture the old Solesides/Quannum days or will I just not be interested? Let’s see:

Best Joints: Don’t Change, Hott 2 Deff, I Like It I Love It, The World Is Calling, Top Shelf, Rules Where Meant To Be Broken (Remix), Let Me In Let Me Out (Remix)

Hot Garbage: Differences, Cakewalk, I’m A Phreak, Is It The Skin I’m In, Do U Buy It, Whispers and I Can’t Decide (Everywhere At Once).

Dart’s Take: I was not feeling too much on this album I’m sorry to say. I kinda liked Lyrics Born’s last album but this one did nothing for me at all. The constant guest vocalists (that weren't Joyo Velarde) began to grate on my nerves and these beats just aren’t as fresh as they used to be back in the days. Lyrics Born isn’t blowing me away with his rhymes anymore, either. I was completely bored out of my mind while listening to this LP sad to say.

I was a huge Solesides and Quannum fan but it seems like I may have reached the end of the road with these cats if this is how their new shit is gonna be sounding from now on. I’ll just play the old Quannum "Spectrum" album instead. Out of respect for these cats, even though I hated this album personally, it is far from wack so I’ll give it a maybe because other people might dig it (not the kid, though...sorry!)



If you’ve never at least heard Flying Lotus’ “1983” or last year's dope “Reset EP” than you should probably slap yourself...or not (it can go either way). The Warp Records producer’s album is due to drop this June but “Los Angeles” has recently leaked and it was the talk of Okayplayer’s The Lesson section last night into this afternoon. I’ve been waiting for this joint for a while. Read my take on it below:

Best Joints: Breath..Something/Stellar Star, Beginners Falafel, Camel, Melt!, Comet Course, Golden Diva, Riot, GNG BNG, Parisian Goldfish, Sleepy Dinosaur, RobertaFlack, SexSlaveShip, Auntie’s Harp, Testament, Auntie’s Lock/Infinitum

Hot Garbage: N/A (Brainfeeder & Orbit 405 are just transitions as opposed to actual tracks)

Dart’s Take: If you are already a fan of Flying Lotus then I recommend that you cop this album the second it’s available for purchase this June. If you aren’t familiar with Flying Lotus, his music or  his production style then you should first  borrow a copy of “1983” or the “Reset EP” and see you can vibe with his material.

Visit his MySpace page and if you like what you hear then you should be line to purchase “Los Angeles” when June comes around. This is music you just put on the iPod or iTunes (I'm a Mac user) and just rock to, not a lot of thinking involved...just press play, relax and listen. I give “Los Angeles’ a most def for myself but a recommend maybe for my readers that may or may not be able to rock with Flying Lotus’ offbeat style of music.




Santogold (Santi White)’s new album has finally hit the ‘net, it officially drops on April 29th and after the EP “I Believe In Santogold” surfaced on all of the blogs anticipation for this project hit a fever pitch. Is this album going to live up to all of the expectations that people have for it? Find out below:

Best Joints: L.E.S. Artistes, You’ll Find A Way, Shove It, Say Aha, Creator, My Superman, Lights Out, Starstruck, Unstoppable, I’m A Lady, Anne, You’ll Find A Way (Switch & Sinden Remix)

Hot Garbage: N/A

Dart’s Take: I’ve been rockin’ this joint nonstop since I got it. I still haven’t stopped playing the original EP either so that should give you an idea about how much I like it. Santi White manages to mix Hip Hop with British synth pop, 80’s pop  and Ska/Reggae influences all into this impressive debut album.

As far as songwriting goes, you know Santi’s gonna bring it because she wrote one of my all time favorite albums in Res’ “How I Do” and her old band Stiffed’s material was ill thanks to her lyrics and vocals. I like M.I.A’s album but I like Santogold's even more. It's hella infectious and catchy..you will be singing these joints and/or you won't be able to get some of these songs out of your head ("Shove It" and "Unstoppable" come to mind). This gets an easy mos def. Cop this joint when it drops on April 29th.



Last but not least, the review you’ve all been waiting for: Atmosphere’s “When Life Brings You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold”. It’s been a long three year wait for a new full length Atmosphere project, can Ant and Slug deliver again like they did on 2005’s “You Can’t Believe How Much Fun We’re Having”? Read my take below:

Best Joints: Like The Rest Of Us, Puppets, The Skinny, Dreamer, Shoulda Known, You, Painting, Your Glass House, Yesterday, Guarantees, Me, Wild Wild Horses, Can’t Break, The Waitress, In Her Music Box

Hot Garbage: N/A

Dart’s Take: This is the kind of music we need right now. This album seems to be telling the stories of a nation on the cusp of a new era of American history. Things are pretty fucked up across the board for everyone and the Bush Administration is pissing in the faces of the American public and calling it rain. We ARE in an economic recession, people! We SHOULDN’T be in Iraq. The money that should be be here helping American interests is flying overseas. There is no raise forthcoming.

Minimum wage has stayed the same while the cost of living has risen. Folks are coming back to the world after serving their country overseas and they come back to a mismanaged nation. I listen intently to the lyrics that Slug drops over Ant’s sonic landscapes and I am feeling the same emotions that he is as he paints his picture. He’s spittin’ about some REAL SHIT that you can relate to easily if you have bills, anxieties, and brain or a goddamn pulse. Sometimes, it's even too real. I give this album a mos def, now cop it when it drops April 22nd!



Late Passes (For Doz Dat Slept):



Albums I'm Looking Forward To Reviewing Once They Leak...I Mean Drop:


I'm Also Looking Forward To Reviewing The Following Projects:

Rhymefest-El Che
Skillz-Million Dollar Backpack
Joe Budden-Padded Room
Jay Electronica-Act II: Patents Of Nobility
Jay Electronica-Abracadabra: Let There Be Light
Soul Assassins III-DJ Muggs vs. King Madallions (Planet Asia)
Big Boi-Sir Luscious Leftfoot
Magnif & J Dilla-Detroit Royalty
Invincible-ShapeShifters
Blu-God Is Good
Snowgoons-Black Snow
N.E.R.D-Seeing Sounds
Platinum Pied Pipers-Abundance
Method Man & Redman-Blackout 2
Redman-Muddy Waters 2
B.O.B.-The Adventures Of B.O.B.
The Alchemist-Chemical Warfare
Giant Panda-Electric Laser
Baatin-Titus


Dart's Fat Tape/CD-R (as of April 18th, 2008):

The Understanding-J-Live
GloryUs-Blu (prod. by GodLee Barnes)
Big Dreamers (Lawtown Remix)-Statik Selektah f/Reks, Termanology & Krumbsnatcha (prod. by Statik Selektah)
The Launch-U-N-I (prod. by Ro Blvd)
Let's Get This Dough-Joell Ortiz f/Max B
Golden Diva-Flying Lotus
So Far-Inverse
Honey-Erykah Badu (Aeon Remix) (prod. by Aeon)
The Waitress-Atmosphere
The Okie Doke-Sadat X (prod. by Will Tell)
Showtime-Starrs & Murph (prod. by Statik Selektah)
Let's Gooo-Ransom f/Mazardi Fox (prod. by MoSS)
I Get It In-Nakim (prod. by The Runners)
Dreamer-Atmosphere
Third Degree-Scram Jones f/Saigon, Crooked I & Nino Bless (prod. by Scram Jones)
Perfect Timing-CL Smooth f/Skyzoo
The Understanding-Mickey Factz f/Malcolm X
Many Moons-Elucid f/Janelle Monae
The Bomb-Southeast Slim f/Wale
Parisian Goldfish-Flying Lotus
Shove It-Santogold
Oh Yeah-Sha Stimuli
Just You-Freddie Foxx & KRS One (prod. by Freddie Foxxx)
RobertaFlack-Dolly (Ahu & Flying Lotus) (prod. by Flying Lotus)


Maybe we can speed up the process/Kill me in my 30's in the name of progress...© Slug of Atmosphere


Dart Adams and Poisonous Paragraphs endorse Barack Obama for President In '08. A change is gonna come, word to Sam Cooke.


One.

3 comments:

maxwell said...

Will Atmosphere's cd drop with the instrumentals? ..prolly find out befor you hit this. dope blog!!!

Anonymous said...

to be honest, im not feeling the new atmosphere too much. it definitely has some high points ("Yesterday") is a great song, but there's some lows as well.

I've had that Shad album for a while now, and it's great; I love it. Feel free to hit me up if you need a copy.

Chris P said...

anything flying lotus does is ultra dope. if you're one of those people who doesn't feel that shit...

i don't even know man...