Thursday, August 21, 2008

Top 50 Non Hip Hop Songs Of The 80's That Hip Hop Fans Loved Revisited (As Compiled By Dart Adams)

When I first compiled this famous list last year it took close to a week for me to get all of the songs together from all of the tapes I heard off of the radio and the lists I got from my contributors/voters. In my original Top 50 Of The 80's list they were dominated by songs from Hall & Oates, David Bowie, The Police, Blondie, Pat Benatar, The Go Go's, Duran Duran, Michael McDonald and Culture Club among others. I had to change the parameters of the list to include all of the different songs from that era that were surprisingly popular to urban music fans.

That decision meant that songs such as Madonna's "Everybody", "Lucky Star", "Borderline" and "Holiday" wouldn't be included. Considering that she had 9 songs to the original Top 50 ("Into The Groove", "La Isla Bonita", "Live To Tell", "Papa Don't Preach" and "Express Yourself" were also included) it seemed like a good idea. I had the same dilemma in regards to David Bowie ("Under Pressure", "China Girl", Let's Dance", "Modern Love" and "This Is Not America"), The Police ("Walking On The Moon", "Roxanne", "Every Breath You Take", "King Of Pain", "Don't Stand So Close To Me" and "Wrapped Around Your Finger") and Duran Duran ("Hungry Like The Wolf", "Save A Prayer", "The Reflex", "The Wild Boys" and "Notorious") as well.

If I included all of the Hall & Oates ("I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)", "One On One", "Maneater", "Private Eyes", etc.), Phil Collins ("Sussudio", "In The Air Tonight", "Against All Odds", "Take Me Home", etc.), Peter Gabriel ("Shock The Monkey", "Sledgehammer", "In Your Eyes", "Big Time", etc.), Culture Club or George Michael this list would just look like a bad 80's music compilation so I went and switched it up. I decided to go back into my old notes and dredge up the next 50 songs that missed the list because so many people e-mailed me and sent me MySpace messages about the songs that didn't make the list.

So here it is, the second half of the list. Songs #51-#100 on the list of Non Hip Hop Songs Of The 80's that Hip Hop Fans Loved (as compiled by me) sans any ties. All of the ties were from the excluded artists I've previously mentioned. Enjoy:

I Confess-The English Beat
I Melt With You-Modern English
Once In A Lifetime-Talking Heads
Promises Promises-Naked Eyes
Whip It-Devo
Time After Time-Cyndi Lauper
Holding Back The Years-Simply Red
Head Over Heels-Tears For Fears
Ghost Town-The Specials
Running-Information Society
I Didn't Mean To Turn You On-Robert Palmer
Who Can It Be Now?-Men At Work
Cry Little Sister-Gerard Butler
Enjoy The Silence-Depeche Mode
It's My Life-Talk Talk
Missing You-John Waite
Don't Dream It's Over-Crowded House
Foolish Heart-Steve Perry
I Want Candy-Bow Wow Wow
Careless Whisper-Wham!
Always Something There To Remind Me-Naked Eyes
Another One Bites The Dust-Queen
Mad World-Tears For Fears
If You Leave-OMD (Orchestral Maneuvers In The Dark)
Send Me An Angel-Real Life
Shattered Dreams-Johnny Hates Jazz
Voices Carry-Til Tuesday
Hold Me Now-Thompson Twins
Take On Me-A-Ha
Red Red Wine-UB40
She Bop-Cyndi Lauper
Tenderness-General Public
In A Big Country-Big Country
A Message To You, Rudy-The Specials
Manic Monday-The Bangles
I Ran (So Far Away)-A Flock Of Seagulls
Break Out-Swing Out Sister
I Heard A Rumor-Bananarama
Steppin' Out-Joe Jackson
Never You Done That-General Public
Misfit-Curiosity Killed The Cat
Tempted-Squeeze
The Warrior-Scandal f/Patti Smyth
Oh Sherrie-Steve Perry
New Song-Thomas Dolby
Cruel Summer-Bananarama
Some Like It Hot-The Power Station
Mother's Talk-Tears For Fears
If You Were Here-Thompson Twins
White Wedding-Billy Idol

One.

No comments: