Thursday, December 25, 2008

Peace On Earth, Goodwill To Men

I decided to make a Christmas related post that involves some of my favorite elements...animation and a post apocalyptic future where the world is inhabited entirely by animals (Rock & Rule). The original cartoon “Peace On Earth” was made in 1939 at the beginning of World War 2 and the Hanna Barbera remake "Good Will To Men" in 1955 was updated to include a new ending for mankind at the hands of the atomic bomb (which didn’t exist when the first version was created). I first saw this cartoon on regular TV back in 1978 and it scared the shit out of me. I saw the second version in 1980 and thought that it was even scarier because it started out all cutesy and then turned grimy at the drop of a dime.

When I got older, I did a little research into the back stories of both cartoons and with age I became to appreciate how great both of the versions are. Here’s my version of a Christmas post. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Feliz Navidad/Three Kings Day, Joyous Kwanzaa (Harambe!), Great Festivus, and a good Saturnalia to you all (I don’t know what Wiccans celebrate this time of year so happy _____). Both versions of the celebrated anti-war/Christmas cartoon are below:

Peace On Earth (1939)



Goodwill To Men (1955)


One.

No comments: