Friday, March 7, 2008

What's New In Dart's iPod #22 AKA When The Levees Broke

Hello, true believers. It’s Dart with yet another edition of my (usually) weekly album review blog. This week, quite a few notable releases leaked on the net so I’ll review those albums today with the exception of Rick Ross’ “Trill” because really who gives a flying fuck about a fake ass “boss” that named himself after a dude that is responsible for flooding the streets of America with a drug that damn near destroyed the hood? Not me.

The albums I’ll review today will go in the following order: Black Spade “To Serve With Love”, Fat Joe “The Elephant In The Room”, Gnarls Barkley “The Odd Couple”, Del The Funky Homosapien “The 11th Hour” and Snoop Dogg “Ego Trippin’”.

Now let's sort all of the madness from this past week out and determine how much of the music that hit the ‘net recently is actually worth purchasing once it’s available for purchase. I don’t rate albums on a scale or assign numerical values to them, I merely try to figure out if they’re worth buying or not. Here's how my "Cop It Or Not" ratings system breaks down below:

Oh No! This CD is a drink coaster/table balancer/doorstop/gerbil/hamster room divider/frisbee/discus/makeshift shield/last ditch choice for a visor/alternate shuriken choice. Sell this shit to whoever is dumb enough to buy it from you.

Maeby (Maybe)! Depending on your own set of personal preferences you might like this joint. Give it a listen first to see if it's in your lane or not.

Mos Def! Cop the album when it drops...'Nuff said.

I do damage to your medulla, cerebrum and cerebellum...you gotta crew betta tell ‘em! © Keith Murray


Texas’ own Black Spade has been making noise on the underground circuit for years. He doesn’t just rhyme but he sings, arranges and produces his own music. Here is his OM Records debut project “To Serve With Love” *Grown Folks Hip Hop Alert!*

Best Joints: To Serve With Love, Love’s Right Here, She’s The One, Evil Love, Lavish Life, The Ship Has Sailed, Good Crazy, Revolutionary Bullshit, The Half That’s Never Been Told, Tale Of 32, Not For The Bullshit, Enjoy The Experience, True Friends, The Genius In You, As We, Where I’m Coming From

Hot Garbage: Actioneer (that’s the one song I couldn’t rock with)

Dart’s Take: If you’re not into vocals with your rapping or an album dealing with real life shit or adult themes then avoid this album like the plague. If you can sit through, let’s say an entire album by Substantial, Hezekiah or Omega Watts then you’ll love this LP. If you don’t know who any of those cats are and you actually like the shit they play on the radio then this is not for you. The second half of the album was more rhyme oriented aand that when it really went into overdrive. Do not sleep on this album. I give it a mos def.



When Fat Joe isn’t making guest appearances in wack niggas videos, racing speedboats with DJ Khaled, pretending to be a drug kingpin or having a ghey ass feud with 50 Cent he makes albums. I hated the first single..and the “street single/video” he put out after that. Then came “That White” produced by DJ Premier and I thought to myself? Is it possible that this album won’t suck after all? Find out below:

Best Joints: The Fugitive, The Crackhouse, Cocababy, K.A.R., Preacher On A Sunday Morning, My Conscience, That White

Hot Garbage: You Ain’t Sayin’ Nothin’ (Plies? Hell naw!), Get It For Life, Drop, I Won’t Tell, 300 Brolic (What the hell was he thinking?)

Dart’s Take: This album sucks so bad I could write a separate blog about everything I hated about it in detail. Fat Joe really thinks he’s from the South now, doesn’t he? Who the fuck is Jackie Rubio? Paulina’s ig’nant ass little sister/cousin? On “K.A.R” Fat Joe says “this ain’t opera!”. The very next song is “300 Brolic” and it features Opera Steve...singing opera!

In summation, this album sucks. Don’t waste your hard earned dollars on this bullshit. Joey, you don’t sell cocaine so stop talking about it on your records! Thank God for that white? No. Thank God for that FFWD button on my iTunes!



The new Gnarls Barkley hit the internet this week and there wasn’t a music messageboard that wasn’t buzzing about it. Can Danger Mouse and Cee Lo Green do it again like they did on “St. Elsewhere”? I’ll let you know now.

Best Joints: She Knows, No Time Soon, Whatever, Who’s Gonna Save My Soul, Run, Would Be Killer, Open Book, Surprise, Going On, Charity Case, Little Better, Neighbors

Hot Garbage: Blind Mary (I didn’t like the first track on the album)

Dart’s Take: This album was damn good. It wasn’t as amazing an experience as the first album because no one knew what to expect and it came completely out of nowhere and leftfield simultaneously. Now, the listening audience knows what to expect from a Gnarls Barkley album. They delivered on this one, the only hiccup being the opening song on the project. Buy it when it drops.




Del is back at it. This time his project is coming out on Definitive Jux as opposed to Hiero Imperium and it’s gonna have an El-P-ish sound to it. Several heads I know are really apprehensive of that. Is “The 11th Hour” worth shelling out your dough on? The answer is below:

Best Joints: Raw Sewage, Bubble Pop, Back In The Chamber, Slam Dunk, Situations, Naked Fonk, Hold Your Hand, Workin’ It, Last Hurrah, I Got You, Funkyhomosapien

Hot Garbage: Foot Down, I’ll Tell You, Str8t Up And Down

Dart’s Take: Overall, I liked this album but it didn’t really grab me the way his previous projects have. Some songs just did absolutely nothing for me. I don’t know if it was the production or what but I just feel that this album needed more joints like “Funkyhomosapien” and “Workin’ It”. More high energy stuff, more bangers, more appearances by Hiero members. This project is far from wack but I wish it was more Heiroish and less Def Juxy. I give it a recommended maybe.




Snoop Dogg has a reality show called "Fatherhood" on VH 1. He also had one of the biggest singles and videos in recent memory with "Sensual Seduction". Interest in this project is through the roof. Does "Ego Trippin'" deliver? Find out below.

Best Joints: Press Play, SD Is Out (is that Aaron Hall?), Gangsta Like Me, Neva Have 2 Worry, Sexual Eruption, Waste Of Time, Sets Up, Deez Hollywood Nights, Whateva U Do, Been Around Tha World, Those Gurlz, One Chance (Make It Good)

Hot Garbage: Life Of Da Party, Cool (why remake a classic?), Staxx In My Jeans, My Medicine (Only Built 4 Everlast Albumz) and Why Did You Leave Me (all remaining tracks were just “meh” to me)

Dart’s Take: The songs on this album that are good are really good and the ones that miss the mark don’t miss by much. I have to commend Snoop for being in the game for going on 16 years and not sounding old and dated like...I dunno Ice Cube. He still has it and his flow is still as nice as ever.

I was hoping that he’d get a little more lyrical but the production on the project more than makes up for it. Terrance Martin, Teddy Riley, Snoop and DJ Quik all did the damn thing. Plus, the Quiksta mixed the whole joint! Too bad we couldn’t get Kurupt and Daz on a track, I give this a highly recommended maybe.



Late Passes (For Doz Dat Slept):

Albums I'm Looking Forward To Reviewing Once They Leak...I Mean Drop:


I'm Also Looking Forward To Reviewing The Following Projects:

Rhymefest-El Che
Skillz-Million Dollar Backpack
Joe Budden-Padded Room
Jay Electronica-Act II: Patents Of Nobility
Jay Electronica-Abracadabra: Let There Be Light
Atmosphere-When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
The Roots-Rising Down
Soul Assassins III-DJ Muggs vs. King Madallions (Planet Asia)

Dart's Fat Tape/CD-R (as of March 7th, 2008):

Naledge vs. Factz-Naledge (Kidz In The Hall) & Mickey Factz (prod. by K. Scott)
Get Busy-The Roots f/Dice Raw, Peedi Crakk & DJ Jazzy Jeff
Midnight 2008-Q-Tip (prod. by Cool & Dre)
The Cause-LMNO & Kev Brown
The Cauldron-Zed Bias f/Jay Electronica (prod. by Zed Bias)
Superstar-AZ
Tight Ones-Sha Stimuli
Activate (To0..)-C.R.A.C Knuckles (Blu & Ta'Raach)
The Rap Life-Jon Hope (prod. by Statik Selektah)
Legend-Mighty Joseph (Vast Aire & Karnagie) (prod. by Madlib)
D.U.I.-Edreys
It's Time-6th Sense
Not For The Bullshit-Black Spade
The Future-Ali Vegas f/Termanology (prod. by Statik Selektah)
Those Gurlz-Snoop Dogg
I Got You-Del The Funky Homosapien
Wherever We Go-School Of Beats f/Tenn, Freddie Thumps, Ice Da Villian & John Early
Tale Of 32-Black Spade
Who's Gonna Save My Soul-Gnarls Barkley
Dope Boy For Real-Affiliate f/Sheek Louch & J.Cardim (prod. by J.Cardim)
Go Getta-AZ f/Ray J
Major Way-C.R.A.C. Knuckles (Blu & Ta'Raach)
Been Around The World-Snoop Dogg
Love Abduction-After The Smoke (prod. by Speek)

Thank God for that whiiiiite! © Some ig'nant bastard

One.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man...the last gnarls barkley album didnt do it for me at all, and i thought that i'd check out the new one and i'd see where the rave reviews were coming from..

nothing. from either of them.
didnt like 'em at all...just my two cents.