Monday, February 25, 2008

What's New In Dart's iPod #20 AKA The Saviour's Day Edition

After my last mega post (yunno..the big ass comic book one just below) I had to take a day off and not do any unnecessary typing so this entry is late, for that I apologize. The three projects I’ll be reviewing today are NYOil’s new digital EP “9 Wonders: NYOil Verses 9th Wonder”, Erykah Badu’s long awaited album “New Amerykah” and the legendary Chocolate Boy Wonder Pete Rock’s new album “NY’s Finest”.

I’ll review these joints in the same order I listed above and give you my favorite joints, the ones that were pure trash and my overall take on each project. Those of you that are regular blog readers are familiar with my unorthodox ratings system already know what the deal is. Here's how my "Cop It Or Not" ratings system breaks down below:

Oh No! This CD is a drink coaster/table balancer/doorstop/gerbil/hamster room divider/frisbee/discus/makeshift shield/last ditch choice for a visor/alternate shuriken choice. Sell this shit to whoever is dumb enough to buy it from you.

Maeby (Maybe)! Depending on your own set of personal preferences you might like this joint. Give it a listen first to see if it's in your lane or not.

Mos Def! Cop the album when it drops...'Nuff said.


It's bigger than religion...Hip Hop! © Erykah Badu

NYOil, better known as Kool Kim has reinvented himself starting with last year’s surprising “Hood Treason” project. He’s back on the scene with a 9 song digital EP of 9th Wonder tracks called “9 Wonders: NYOil Versus 9th Wonder”. At first there was a rumor that this EP was fueled by beef between 9th Wonder and NYOil but apparently those rumors were all false and based on the title of the EP some folks jump to conclusions. You know what they say about making assumptions, right? My review is just below:

Best Joints: “Each Morning”, “More And More”, “Close Your Eyes”, “Drop Squad”, “Cap’N Save A Hoe”, “CONspiracy Theory, ”4 Luv”, “The Investor” and “Seems Like”

Hot Garbage: N/A (I wish this joint was longer but there wasn’t anything weak on this joint. Is the feature on “4 Luv” really NYOil’s daughter?)

Dart’s Take: It was cool to hear NYOil spit some real shit over some 9th Wonder tracks and after hearing this entire project in it’s entireity, hopefully he’ll get the chance to spit on some 9th joints first in the future. I like how NYOil took these instrumentals and insted of just spit some verses over popular beats like most mixtapes he turned each track into his own song.

This was a well executed project and it was cool to hear NYOil spit some socially aware rhymes (I’m sick of using the word “conscious” all the goddamn time) over these beats. After seeing the videos for “CONspiracy Theory” and “Cap’N Save A Hoe” I really needed to hear this album. I wasn’t disappointed in the least. This joint easily gets a mos def, now download it here.



Next up is the long awaited “New Amerykah” project from Erykah Badu. She has supposedly recorded enough material for three album due to finding a cache of beats Dilla sent her and collaborations from sessions with her friends in the Okayplayerverse. The songs that leaked (namely “Honey” and “The Healer”) have made interest in this project go through the roof. I’m interested to see what direction this album goes in, read my take on it below:

Best Joints: “Amerykahn Promise”, “The Healer”, “Me”, “My People”, “Soldier”, “The Cell”, “Twinkle”, “Master Teacher”, “That Hump”, “Telephone” and “Honey”

Hot Garbage: N/A (the "Amerykahn Promise" track/intro was the least listenable thing on the entire project)

Dart’s Take: This album was just as mind blowing as I hoped it would be. Once I heard the opening track I knew that I was going to be challenged by this project as opposed to just sitting and listening, this album evokes immediate emotions in the listener. It actually takes you different places, it isn’t made to be background noise...you can’t really ignore it. Tracks like “The Healer”, “Soldier”, “Master Teacher” and “Telephone” are almost more than just music. “The Cell”, “Twinkle” and “That Hump” are all along the same lines as well, you become immersed in the song and you can actually "see" the scenarios she puts down as you hear the music.

While Alicia Keys and Keisha Cole make music with emotion that stirs things in people, Erykah Badu does it on a much higher level. She deals with the state of the entire world and the fear and paranoia surrounding us all as we speed towards a future that’s up in the air. The recording industry is just a huge house of cards and it’s an election year where we’re going to get a new leader of the free world soon. What’s going to happen to us all? I don’t know and I’m kinda fuckin’ scared but I’ll get through it all..that what Erykah’s album is all about. It gets another mos def from me.



The last Pete Rock project to hit store shelves was back in 2005 (“The Surviving Elements”) and Pete Rock has done quite a bit of production for a wide array of artists in the space between these projects. Pete Rock hooked up with Nature Sounds, one of the best Hip Hop labels around for his “NY’s Finest” album. Ever since Pete switched over to the MPC some heads have screamed bloody murder...Pete doesn’t give a fuck, he just continues to do him.

It’s 2008 and Pete Rock, one of the greatest Hip Hop producers of all time has a new album coming out. I’ve been a Pete Rock fan since my cousins from Mount Vernon let me hear some of his beats over the phone way back before he finally got his first placement on Heavy D’s “Big Time” album. Read my take on this album below:

Best Joints: “We Roll”, “Till I Retire”, “914”, “Questions”, “Best Believe”, “Ready Fe War ,”Don’t Be Mad”, “Bring Y’all Back”, “The Best Secret”, “That’s What I Am Talking About”, “The PJ’s”, “Made Man”, “Let’s Go” and “Comprehend” .

Hot Garbage: N/A (It was good to hear Chip Fu, Royal Flush, Lords Of The Underground and Rell again)

Dart’s Take: I had to listen to some of these joints twice just to make sure that I wasn’t making them out to be better than they actually are. After a second (and in some cases a third) listen I realized that I wasn’t. Some of these tracks I’d heard way before (“The PJ’s”and “914”) the album was officially announced by Nature Sounds and they haven’t gotten stale at all.

Some folks might be a little bored at the Pete Rock solo tracks but I thoroughly enjoyed them. The illest shit to me was Pete’s verse on the Chip Fu track “Ready Fe War”. Hearing Papoose kill it on “Comprehend” just makes me pissed that “The Nacirema Dream” will probably never come out. The Rell track was probably the best shit he’s put out since 2004, this album gets a mos def from me but I’m sure other bloggers will be underwhelmed by it in one way or another.



Don't Sleep On These Joints, Either:


Albums I'm Looking Forward To Reviewing Once They Leak...I Mean Drop:


I'm Also Looking Forward To Reviewing The Following Projects:

Rhymefest-El Che
Skillz-Million Dollar Backpack
Joe Budden-Padded Room
Jay Electronica-Act II
Atmosphere-When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
The Roots-Rising Down

Dart's Fat Tape/CD-R (as of February 26th, 2008)

It's Nothing-Rakim (prod. by DJ Static)
Crash-Torae
Women Problems-Pacific Division
Chain Reaction-Substantial
Black's Reconstruction (75 Bars)-The Roots
Digital Video-CunningLynguists f/Sunnystylez
Cap'n Save A Ho-NYOil (prod. by 9th Wonder)
Snow-Roc Marciano
Master Teacher-Erykah Badu f/Georgia Anne Muldrow & Bilal
Perspective-Seek f/Ed O.G.
Going For Life-Drake
Stunnas On (Remix)-The Cool Kids (prod. by Starski)
Get Rich-M.O.P. f/Bilal (prod. by Hi-Tek)
Poppers Pop Breakers Break-All Natural
Life Ain't Sweet-Astonish f/Termanology
I Dominate-Bishop Lamont
Soldier-Erykah Badu
World Gone Blind-Co$$ AKA CashUsKing (prod. by Blu)
The Light '08 (It's Love)-Common (prod. by Just Blaze)
F.A.T. Boys-Pacific Division
Go Mode-Wale f/Bun B
Ready Fe War-Pete Rock f/Chip Fu & Renee of Zhane
Do You Feel Me? (Remix)-Anthony Hamilton f/Ghostface Killah
Rockin' And Rollin' (Remix)-Mickey Factz

This one is for Dilla! © Erykah Badu

One.

5 comments:

restless_438 said...

great post once again! really feeling everything NYOil has done in the last year or so and picked up the new pete and badu today.. thank god my fye had 2 copies of 'ny's finest' but i got the bonus dvd with it... turned my day good, great hip-hop coming out right now.. peace

writous said...

damu is incredible.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to see your take on NY's Finest, Dart - I've tried, but I'm not feeling it at all (except the beats, of course). Although I'm going to have to check out that Badu now from your recommendations.

Amazing post, as always.

Aaron said...

So I'm confused. Is Honey not on the (Badu) album?

Dart Adams said...

@ A-One:

"Honey" is on the album as a bonus track. It wasn't made for the album, it was supposed to be on 9th Wonder's "The Wonder Years" LP. Now she's doing another joint for his album.

One.