Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dart Adams presents A Tale Of Ten Trailers 6 AKA The No Hitter Edition

It's that time of month again! I'm going to drop ten trailers on you and hopefully hip some of you to some new flicks on the horizon. In some cases these joints are major blockbusters and others are indie or international joints. Enough talk, let's get it in!:




Steve Spielberg and George Lucas went and got Indy’s hat and whip out of mothballs. Then they banged out a script, woke up Harrison Ford from his nap and then they filmed this movie which stands to make a shitload of money at the box office. Do I give a flying fuck? Find out below:

Dart’s Take: I’m not big on films starring an old White guy with a wide brimmed hat and a whip. Haven’t been since I saw “Roots” as a kid. Call me crazy. I haven’t been much of an Indiana Jones fan but I will see this just because everyone else will have and I don’t wanna be out of the loop. Looks like typical blockbuster action fare to me. *Shrugs shoulders and turns channel to ESPN*





Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) follows up his brilliant documentary/reality show “30 Days” with this ambitious project “Where In The World Is Osama Bin Laden?”. I’ve been waiting to see this flick since it was first announced. My take on the trailer is just below:

Dart’s Take: This dude is certifiable if he just volunteered to go places that even the US Army dares to tread. He put his life at risk to get this story and I respect him for that. That’s why filmmakers like him and Michael Moore (Roger & Me, Bowling For Columbine) are needed in this current film industry climate. I’ll try to make a point to see this.






Andrew Fleming co-wrote (with Pam Brady) and directed this satire/comedy about a failed actor turned drama teacher in a community where the funding has been cut for the Drama department. What does he do? He makes an outrageous original production and has the students perform it. Read my take below:

Dart’s Take: If you like films like “Waiting For Guffman”, “A Mighty Wind” or movies of that nature then this is for you. The fucked up part is that I could see someone going to this extreme in real life. This trailer is hella funny but I may not see this until it drops on DVD.





Ryuhei Kitamura (Versus) directed this Jeff Buhler adaptation of a Clive Barker short story. A photographer encounters a serial killer on the subway and he must now solve the mystery as to why the bodies of the slain never turn up. He rides the train and waits. My opinion is forthcoming:

Dart’s Take: This looks like an other dark suspensful thriller. I’m not moved or interested enough to want to see this flick in theatres, though. I love Kitamura’s style but I’ll wait to Netflix or Redbox this joint in the Fall when it drops.





“Pineapple Express” is a collaborative effort between the writing team of Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Superbad) and writer/director David Gordon Green (Snow Angels). A bunch of stoners end up in some shit and they have to find a way out of it. It stars much of the gang from “40 Year Old Virgin”, “Superbad” and “Knocked Up”. What do I think of it? Read below:

Dart’s Take: Now this a goddamn trailer! After seeing this I want to see this movie right now. I’ve heard that the gang have been touring the country and having special screenings of it as well as promoting the wider release of the film. Not only is it funny but it has action as well. I’m definitely checkin’ for this joint.





“Batman: Gotham Knight” is an animated film in the vein of the ultra popular “Animatrix” that explains the backstory of what’s been happening with the Dark Knight by chronicling the events that happened in the time between each new Batman film. The DVD drops July 8th. My reaction to this trailer is below:

Dart’s Take: Sheeeeit! My Blu Ray copy has already been pre-orded after checking out the site and seeing the trailer. If this is anywhere near as good as “The Animatrix” it’ll be worth the money. Plus, what else are HD TV’s and PS3’s for?




“Mongol” is Sergei Bodrov newest foray into the North American market since his film “Nomad” was released and distributed here. It tells the story of Genghis Khan and his rise to power. Read my take below:

Dart’s Take: This film isn’t exactly historically accurate as far as I’ve heard. The international trailers are better and longer but not for an American audience. I’ll more than likely catch this on DVD somewhere because I’ve read “The Secret History Of The Mongols” before and this ain’t it.



Cris Carter called up David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson to ask them if they wanted to make a shitload of money. They both said “Fuck yeah!” so Carter wrote and directed a new X-Files flick called “The X-Files: I Want To Believe”. My thoughts are just below:

Dart’s Take: Interesting. I’m still not gonna go to the theater and see it as the first X-Files movie was just slightly better than OK to me. I remember some individual episodes from the TV show but I wasn’t a big fan of it. Some fanboys are going crazy over this but I ain’t them and they ain’t me. Meh.






“Sangre De Mi Sangre” is also known as “Padre Nuestro” overseas and it’s been huge at all of the international film festivals. Christopher Zalla wrote and directed this story of two Mexicans that sneak into the U.S. looking for better opportunities. One is looking for his father in New York and the other pledges to help him in his quest. Then a whole bunch of fuckery occurs. Read my take on this flick below:

This is easily going to be one of the breakout indie/international films of 2008. IFC has co-signed it and released it to a wider audience and that all but guarantees a fair amount of people will rent it when it becomes available on DVD. I’ll be doing the same as it looks like a good flick to me. It might even be up there with “Trade”.





Johnathan Levine (All The Boys Love Mandy Lane) wrote and directed this story of a boy’s coming of age during the early 90’s in New York. “The Wackness” was a huge Sundance Film Festival favorite and one of the most talked about films of the Winter. Read my take on the trailer below:

Dart’s Take: I’m going to see this flick, bottom line. I’ve been hearing about it from hella people since it showed up at Sundance and everyone whose seen it loves it. I will make it a point to check this flick out regardless of Method Man’s fake Jamaican accent. This and “Pineapple Express” could be two of the biggest cult films of this Summer.


I’ll try to come back with another edition of A Tale Of Ten Trailers on June 20th. Congratulations to John Lester on pitching a no hitter last night and good luck to the Celtics as they to make their way to the NBA Finals tonight.

One.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I added you to my blogroll.